I live in Edinburgh. I would say I am enjoying the summer, but to be honest summer here lasted one week and the highest temperature recorded was like 68 degrees. I was all bundled up cause for me that's still a bit chilly yet all the Scots walked around in their shorts and bikini tops. I don't get it. Now its rain and temperatures in the low 60s to high 50s. It's like fall but only perpetual. I miss the sun. Despite that, things are good. I finished classes in April and now I am working on my dissertation. Well "work" might be a stretch, but it is coming along quite well. At least that is what I tell myself.
I am also looking for a job. It is like a never ending cycle. School, work, school, work, what's next? I am looking for jobs in London and in Brussels. To be honest I really can't be arsed to look for a job. I don't know why. Right now I am just not feeling this island. I need to get away. I wouldn't mind working in London, but it is hella expensive and to be honest I don't know how much longer I can take this a) weather, b) snooty brits who still worship the queen and can't get over the fact that they no longer have an empire and won't admit that we beat their asses twice (Revolutionary War and War of 1812), c) ridiculous exchange rate from dollar to pound, d) lack of mexican/latin cuisine (you would have no idea how hard I am trying to replace my love for that cuisine but I can't find anything), e) lack of nonwhite cultural (don't get me wrong there is diversity but like they don't really mix). Anyway so yeah. So why Brussels? It is the capital of Europe and as I am a politics person I figure I can get a job there. Brussels is like a miniature Paris, but with the D.C. beat, yet less politicized than D.C. I dunno. To be honest I have no idea what I want to do with myself. I do know that I am not crossing the pond ever again. I crossed it once and that was it. I am like a new age pilgrim, yet only leaving my homeland (if I can call America that) for political reasons (I did vow to leave if Bush was reelected and voila here I am). Ok, so I am lying I did cross the Atlantic for the holidays. I went to Argentina and Bolivia to visit my brother. My stay in the United States lasted little over 5 hours. I just got my passport stamped and told the immigration peeps that I was "in transit" and that was it. So yes, I entered the United States as a US citizen in transit to another country. It felt kinda good sticking it to the man that way. In March I went to Brussels, Amsterdam, and Dublin. Amsterdam I really don't remember. They have some strong herb over there that seriously knocked me on my ass for 4 days straight. It was amazing. Dublin was alright. It is freaking expensive and to be honest it was like a less educated but we-think-we-are-better-than London vibe. One pint of beer was €5.50!! That is more expensive than London!! So to be honest I wasn't really feeling the vibe. I guess I am more continental than island. Anyway, my whole time here can be one big Coldplay soundtrack. Just pop in their album and the highs and lows and misery and dread is all quite fitting. Oy veh.
So that is where I am. Stuck here on this island in this small town where the sun doesn't really shine trying to figure out my life. This chapter of my life will be called "When I was more sophistitcated and worldy than those perceived to be" in my biography. Another thing to add, the accent. That cute accent that we see in the movies--no one really talks like that. I find it rather amusing that they make fun of us (on this instance I'll admit I'm American) for our accents when we actually pronounce things like we see them and not all weird like Edinbaraaaah instead of Edinburgh. Can you imagine saying Pittsbaraaaah instead of Pittsburgh? I really can't. I hate bagpipes. I don't ever want to hear them again. They are the devil's instrument. Oh and they really don't wear anything beneath their kilts. It is rather unfortunate. You would think that they would know how to sit on the grass, but many a times in the park I have had the unfortunate experience to run into a Scot passed out in the park all sprawled out in a kilt showing the world all his glory. Classy. Pure class.
Hate aside, I could live in London. It's big enough. For the right price and right job I'll love it. Yes, I sold out a long time ago. Relationship wise, I am still single and to be honest I like it. I come and go and do what I want when I want. It is also easier to pull of the whole tortured-I-hate-this-island-feel when you are single. If you were in a relationship and had all the haterade that I have, people would see me as some miserable twat.
(Don't get me wrong, I might sound a little jaded, but it's the weather and the lack of authentic latin cuisine and reggaeton that has me like this. To be honest, if I had to do it over again, I would do it again. Living here beats the shit out of living in D.C. I am just frustrated.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hey kiddo. I don't care where in the world you are. you need to update!
Post a Comment