Tuesday, 3 June 2008

Oh cloudy day(s)

We have all heard about the British weather--rain, rain, rain, and scattered sun showers.  I have been to the UK before, both in the summer and winter so I thought I knew what to expect when I moved here.  

I quickly realised that Scotland is like the asterisk that points to the fine print that outlines all the restrictions and conditions of contract.  The weather has been by the far the most frustrating thing I have had to deal with.  I knew when I arrived last September that anything above 72 degrees was considered a heat wave, but I didn't think they were serious.  I was wrong.  Very wrong.

The winter was harsh.  The wind from the North Sea was sharp like a knife that stabbed you in the eyes.  The humidity in the air made it impossible to stay warm.  Then there was the rain.  The Scottish rain.  It doesn't necessarily pour--it spits at you.  Also depending on the wind, it tends to come down horizontally.  The sun barely made an appearance.  It was gray the entire day.  Oh and the day?  What day--sunrise was around 8am and by 3pm it was already dusk.

Spring has been better--it is still grey and the rain still spits at you, but at least it is slightly warmer.  The days are long--their is still daylight at 2230 and the day begins at 345am.  It does wonders for your internal clock I tell you.  Additionally, when there is sun, it is beautiful and strong.  There are times where the sun is out for 3 or 4 days and it seems like the summer has arrived.  The temperature reaches the mid 60s and everyone is walking around as if they were going to the beach--while me and my Mediterranean friends are sporting coats and scarves because for us it is not warm at all.  When the sun is out this place looks beautiful.  Everything seems tolerable and I see the beauty of Edinburgh.  Unfortunately for every day of sun, we get 6 days of rain and cloudy weather.  I last saw the sun on Saturday.  Since then it has been rain and overcast skies. How depressing.

It is at times like this in which I vow to leave this island and never come back.  I cannot take it anymore.  I need the sun or something close to it.  I am tired of the color gray.  I am tired of the rain.  I am tired of it only getting to 66 degrees and everyone thinking that it is the summer. The locals claim that last year there was no summer--just spring and winter.  Fall is like spring but I really didn't notice it last year as from September to November it was the same weather all around.  

Today I vowed to leave this island.  I can't stay here.  In the end, the weather is what helped me reach my decision.  I cannot see myself living here much longer.  I must go to the continent. They say that in the end it's the small things that are the deal breakers.  For me, the deal breaker is the weather.  The weather made me leave the island.

Watch me change my mind when the sun comes back and I vow to move to London.

No comments: