Friday, 13 June 2008

On being a pedestrian

Crossing a street here is like playing a game of frogger.  First of all, unlike the civilised parts of the world where pedestrians have the right of way, they do not have that privilege here.  Many a times, while crossing the street I've been almost run over.  Also, you have to factor in that on this island, they drive on the "other" side of the road.  It is very confusing and it takes a lot of time to grow accustomed to crossing a street.  To this day, I still look both ways. 

Yes, I am obviously retarded.  Yes, they do paint directions as to which way you need to look before you cross the street.  Yes, I still look both ways.  Instinct?  Trust Issues?  You be the judge.

Compounding problems for pedestrians is the amount of time the crosswalk stays illuminated. For the record, it's not very long.  Lastly, sidewalks here were not built for pedestrians.  They tend to be narrow and the locals do not understand basic sidewalk rules.  You do not walk five or six abreast.  You do not walk against foot traffic.  In most countries sidewalk traffic is divided into two orderly streams of traffic. Not here.  EVERYONE walks in their own direction. It can be stressful and it is like playing bumper cars.  Also, they walk slow here.  It is frustrating to the point where I have come close to hitting people.  And do not get me started on the tourists....

So yeah, if you are pedestrian on this island, prepare to gain a few wrinkles.  

No comments: