When I first moved to this island, I knew no one. The one and only person I knew was in London and, well, I am not living in London. I am in the north: the dark and evil Scotland. I am in the nicer part of Scotland--the part dubbed as "cosmopolitan" which makes me cringe when I write that. That is a topic for a different post.Anyway, I have always had a diverse group of friends. In college, I did not belong to just one group--I sorrounded myself with different social circles and was able to move confidently between them. After university and I started working, I created my groups of friends: work friends, non work friends, friends of friends that became good friends, friends from university that were living in the same city, etc and I moved between these groups. Nevertheless, I have always had a core group of friends. This core group usually consisted of people from the different social groups. When I left the United States in September of last year, these social groups became virtual groups.
Once I moved here I created my social groups which consist of:
People in my master's program
People not in my master's program but go to the same university
Boyfriends, Girlfriends, and lovers of friends
People I met here randomly but I somehow knew back in the United States
People that do not go to my university
Lover and hook ups (trust me, it deserves it's own category and yes there is overlap)
Anyway, my social groups are now all intertwined and not necessarily getting along. In addition to that, I have been "rejected" by the people in my master's program because as of late I tend to hang out with people that do not go to my university. This rejection has caused a lot of stress in my life--I am pretty much no longer invited to social events hosted by my classmates. It also hurt because the majority of my core group of friends were in that group. Lost, dejected, and core less, I was hurt, but now, I've moved and have realised that I really don't need friends like that. My non university friends are fun and amazing and like me.
Will there be a reconciliation? Maybe. I have three months left here. I might as well make the most of it with the people that make me laugh and like my company. Also, my classmates are not necessarily the people that I would talk to under different circumstances. In three months I don't have to see them or ever have to talk to them. Knowing that little fact brings a smile to my face.
No comments:
Post a Comment